Bill's S10

Home

Doubler | LT1 Swap | Other Photos | Other Photos 2 | In the Beginning | V8 Swap | Solid Front Axle Swap
LT1 Swap

After having some issues with my carb on the 350, I decided that fuel injection was the way to go. After doing some searching at the local junk yards I found a '95 LT1 350 with all the wiring and computer from a Buick Roadmaster for $650. This is the same motor used in the Camaros except with cast iron heads rather than aluminum. It is rated at 260 hp and 330 ft-lb. from the factory.

lt1-01.jpg

lt1-02.jpg

lt1-03.jpg

lt1-04.jpg

After getting the engine home and tagging all the wiring, the long task of rerouting, lengthening, and shortening the wires was tackled. This was the hardest part of the swap and took many hours studying wiring diagrams and verifying everything with tags so that no wires were crossed. Once the wiring was finished I tore the entire engine down to be rebuilt as the engine had 230,000 miles on it.

lt1-05.jpg

lt1-06.jpg

Although the LT1 is mostly a typical smallblock it is more expensive to rebuild. Parts like the water pump and distributor are driven off the cam at the front of the motor which is where most of the differences are. Also the water pump is a reverse flow design which eleminates coolant flowing through the intake. With the motor rebuilt the old 350 was pulled out and set aside for it's later transplant into my '69 pickup.

lt1-07.jpg

lt1-08.jpg

Now that the old engine was out, the test fitting could begin. Because of the A/C compressor being mounted so low, the passenger side frame rail had to be notched and boxed back in. 1/4" plates were also welded to the outside of the frame just to be sure it would hold up to the abuse of off road. It took several test fittings and many cuts to get the compressor to fit without removing more metal than was absolutely neccessary.

lt1-09.jpg

lt1-10.jpg

lt1-11.jpg

Below is the speed sensor from JTR that I tried. It goes on the transfer case before the speedometer cable and gives 4 pulses per revolution. I found that this is not enough. It is about about 20 times too slow. I have since swapped to a NP231 T-case that has the 40 tooth reluctor ring speed sensor. I am working on getting an electronic speed speedometer in my dash but am not finished yet. I also installed a Centerforce clutch before installing the motor for the final time.

lt1-12.jpg

lt1-13.jpg

lt1-14.jpg

lt1-15.jpg

lt1-16.jpg

All of the hoses had to be hooked up next. I used a power steering hose from the Roadmaster and tweeked it a little to make it work. The fuel lines were made from braided stainless line and a fuel filter for a '90 S10 Blazer was installed along the frame rail. I installed a Granatelli high volume fuel pump in the tank to supply enough fuel for any further modifications in the future. The computer was installed on top of a coolant tank for a 96 S10. Some brackets were made to mount the newer coolant tank to the older fender well. The fuse box that houses all the fuses and relays for the fuel injection was mounted behind the coolant tank. The wires for the check engine light and for the PASS-Key system were run through the grommet in the firewall with the antenna wire. A resistor was soldered in the circuit that normally reads the resistance of the key so that the PASS-Key module thinks the correct key is always present. A two speed electric fan from a 92 Ford Taurus with a 3.8L was installed on the Be-Cool radiator and was wired so that the Fan #1 in the LT1 wiring was the slow speed and Fan #2 was the high speed.

lt1-17.jpg

lt1-18.jpg

And here is the finished product, a LT1 powered S10 with enough to keep the Swampers turning over anything they can get ahold of!

lt1-19.jpg